MSEE Degree at a Distance Application Instructions
Step 1: Apply as a Special Student
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering requires engineers entering the M.S. program for the first time to enroll in their first course as a special student and not through the Graduate School.
- Apply online to be a special student through University of Wisconsin Systems.
- Within the online application, on the "Reason for Applying" page, choose "Nondegree/Special"
- Then, on the "Applying As" page, choose "Preparation for admission to graduate or professional school (UNRS)" (Applicants should clearly indicate "Master of Science – Electrical and Computer Engineering via distance education" on their statement of "Reasons for Graduate Study.")
- When you are officially admitted, you will receive instructions to activate your NetID. You will also need to activate your Computer-Aided Engineering (CAE) account, which will allow viewing of the online lectures.
- After receiving official notification of admission and activating your NetID, or call 608-263-3370 for authorization to enroll in your chosen course or to begin the M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering Program.
- Once you have been officially enrolled, you will receive your course and program materials.
Step 2: Apply to the UW–Madison Graduate School
- Submit an online application to the UW–Madison Graduate School. Completed applications are due December 15 for admission for the following fall semester, and September 15 for admission for the following spring semester.
- Submit remaining application materials to the ECE Graduate Admissions Office:
2312 Engineering Hall
1415 Engineering Dr
Madison, WI 53706
- Master of Engineering Degrees
- Master of Science Degrees